GF Check-in
12:05 PM


So far, so good.

I have found celebrating others' birthdays and achievements to be a task and a half, because "no thank you" won't cut it when there's cake on the table! I've cheated minorly once (maybe twice, shhh) but I mean very minor (licking off icing? Sure!).

I do have a new-found problem with sugar, however. I crave it. Clearly this is because gluten and wheat turn into sugar in your system, and by removing them, my body wants other sources of the sneaky sweet devil. It's been so hard to resist wolfing down a chocolate bar (my resolve used to be strong enough that I'd eat one piece and be satisfied, now I can't even touch the wrapper without knowing it will disappear!) and difficult not to go nuts with the honey and syrups and of course.... chocolate. This too shall pass! But until it does, I'm restraining the sugar intake to just fruits and the occasional drizzle of honey (see photo above, mmmmm).

Kudos to all gluten free gods who have a legitimate allergy, and have struggled and mastered the "diet" for their entire lives. There are times I feel like a fraud, just using the dietary choice as a fad, but I have to remind myself that while it has made me feel a lot better, it has also helped with some legitimate dietary problems I've had for a while. My insides are thanking me, and for that I will continue to please them with fresh fruits and vegetables, peanut butter, and the occasional gluten-free waffle in the morning (limiting, limiting, but once and a while I need the fake stuff).

The one comment that threw me off the rails for a second:

"Are you just doing this to lose weight?"

My answer? I'm sweating and swearing at the gym to tone up, and I'm eating healthier and in a fresh direction to please my body after years of sugar and wheat addictions that I never thought I could shake. I'm not looking to lose any weight, as my BMI is perfecto for my age and height. I'm interested in kick-starting my metabolism and re-awakening my love for fresh cooking, fresh produce, and treating my body the way it should be treated: with respect. So no, I'm not eating wheat-free to lose weight. I'm eating wheat-free to challenge my body and lifestyle to see how strong I can really be.

I'm off, dear readers, to munch on some raisins and contemplate the meaning of "potato flour".


0 comments:

Post a Comment