[in]congnito
12:54 AM


[in]congnito
Originally uploaded by twistedelements
Sometimes I wonder why I bet on people.


I'm rediscovering Elliott Smith. Good Will Hunting was completely saturated with the soft singer's tracks, sounding vaguely like an older Simon and Garfunkel catering to the more indie youth of the 90's. Oh 90's music. But this shit is good. I want more.


I've also realized that my family's dynamic is completely foreign to the family systems set up in today's society. A family of 6, father working steadily, mother a stay-at-home mom, all kids happily enjoying their lives and having a great relationship with each other. To an extent. We're the fucking partridge family of the millennium. My closeness with my parents is just so off the map compared to every other person I've met throughout my life. Those who are lucky enough to still have two parents in tact have horrible relationships with them, if they speak to them at all.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, or thinking that my family is better than your family - I'm just mulling over the fact that it's weird. It is genuinely weird to have an hour long phone call with my father where we talk about everything from movies to relationships to his new interest in steam-punking random household objects. (Haven't heard of steam-punk? Google it, my friend.) And even weirder to have a mother that I say I love you to every night, without fail, and mean it. We hug. We like seeing each other. Sure, we fight, but we're both so similar that we're over it the next day anyways.
This is weird for the 21st century. To not be a child of divorce has me looking at my own relationships more indepthly, putting me under the microscope to see if that's what I'm looking for in a companion (i HATE that word, but it's fitting) or if I'm trying my hardest to run away from the picture perfect Pleasantville canvas we've been painting for 20 years. I'd like to think I'd want that one day. But four kids in this economic state? No thanks.

It's fun to analyze.
One of these days I should stop thinking so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment