this is the lie to save your life
4:59 PM

This is a rant.


I'm obsessed with flickr. It's obvious. Views, comments, it's addicting... and of course, the main goal as always, is to reach that proverbial EXPLORE. front page is the be-all, end-all... anywhere else is pretty damn great as well.

But I keep opening the front page of flickr and finding the most.... peculiar images.

I'm sorry, but front page, to me, seems like a showcase for some of the most interesting, thought provoking, and all around deserving photographs taken recently. Opening the page to find snapshots and images taken in haste without any effort leave me sitting in my broken desk chair thinking "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!"


I understand Interestingness is a simple program, not true human thought picking the best photographs of the week.

But.

I feel I've seen so many streams of photos that are outrageously worthy of explore, if not the front page. It just bothers me to see so many work so hard, and have their work not seen. To be overshadowed by a haphazard photograph with very little effort put into it is just insulting.


I may be bitter. Yes. I have never been explored. But I'm also a horrible flickr participant: I creep. Hardcore. I comment on occasion, and I'm getting much better at the whole game, but I don't participate as much as others. So fair enough.

But that leads me to wonder how much these other front-pagers participate.



One day.
Front page.
It'll happen.
There will be a deserving photograph.
Maybe not mine.
But then I'll stop complaining.

0 comments:

Post a Comment